Qualified Pensacola Marijuana Crimes Defense Attorney
Defending Against Marijuana-Related Charges in and around Pensacola
While recreational marijuana is becoming legal in several states, possession of marijuana is still a criminal offense in the State of Florida. If you are not a qualified participant in the medical marijuana program in Florida, possession of any amount of marijuana can result in an arrest, criminal charges, and possibly serious penalties. If you were arrested and accused of any type of marijuana-related offenses, you should not delay in contacting a Pensacola marijuana crimes defense attorney for assistance.
Charges and Penalties for Marijuana in Florida
Even though the general attitude toward marijuana use has become more relaxed in many parts of the United States, authorities in Florida still strictly enforce laws against recreational possession and use. If you are accused of possessing marijuana, you could face the following charges and penalties based on the amount of marijuana in question:
- Up to 20 grams = Misdemeanor, fines up to $1,000, and up to one year in jail
- 20 grams to 25 pounds = Felony, fines up to $5,000 and up to five years in prison
- 25 to 2,000 pounds = Felony, fines up to $25,000, and a minimum of three years in prison up to a possible 15 years
- 2,000 to 10,000 pounds = Felony, fines up to $50,000, and a minimum of seven years in prison up to 30 years
- 10,000 pounds or more = Felony, fines up to $200,000, and a minimum of 15 years in prison up to 30 years
As you can see, the penalties for marijuana possession are still harsh in Florida. Even if you only possessed a small amount, you might still spend time in jail and pay costly fines. The penalties can increase due to several factors, including:
- Allegations of distribution or sales
- Possession in or near a school zone
- Previous drug-related convictions
Many convictions for marijuana also result in the loss of your driver’s license for one year or more, as well as possible probation and other lasting consequences.
Contact a Pensacola Marijuana Crimes Defense Attorney
At the Law Office of James M. Burns, we stand up for the rights of defendants facing marijuana charges. There are many ways to defend against such charges to get your case dismissed or minimize the penalties your face. Contact us online or call 850-457-6002 to discuss your case today.